Fourteen people were killed in a military air strike on a monastery in Myanmar, according to opposition fighters and a local rescue worker.
Fourteen people were killed in military air strikes at a monastery in Myanmar early on Friday, according to opposition fighters and a local rescue worker. The site was struck twice as civilians gathered for a meditation retreat to mark Buddhist Lent. The attack occurred in Myaung township in the central Sagaing region, some 70km west of Mandalay, as reported by AFP. All of those killed were elderly, and a number of monks were also injured, the rescue worker told BBC Burmese. A second, unnamed opposition fighter said he had been among those searching for survivors when the aircraft returned to bomb a second time.
According to Nway Oo Myaung, a pro-democracy rebel, the victims included 11 men and three women. Five of the victims were from one village, while the remaining nine were from a neighbouring township. Myanmar's military has not commented on the incident. The military, which has been accused of carrying out strikes on public buildings, has previously stated it only targets legitimate objectives. The country has been locked in civil war since the military staged a 2021 coup ousting Aung San Suu Kyi, and has been under martial rule since.
Why it matters
The repeated strikes risk further casualties as civilians remain on-site.
This section reflects Dumpling editorial interpretation and is provided for context only.
What to watch
Watch whether rescue efforts can safely extract all remaining civilians.
This section reflects Dumpling editorial interpretation and is provided for context only.